Historic Confession of Faith 25
- The catholic or universal church, which is invisible, consists of the visible number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ the head thereof, and is the spouse, the body, the fullness of him that filleth all in all.
- The visible church, which is also catholic or universal under the gospel (not confined to one nation, as before under the law), consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion; and of their children:and is kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ, the house and family of God, out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.
- Unto the catholic visible church Christ hath given the minitry, oracles, and ordinances of God, for the gathering and perfection of the saints, in this life, to the end of this world: and doth, by his own presence and Spirit, according to his promise, make them effectual thereunto.
- This catholic church hath been sometimes more, sometimes less visible. And particular churches, which are members thereof, are more and less pure, according as the doctrine of the gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them.
- The purest churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated, as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan. Nevertheless, there shall be always a church on earth, to worship God according to his will.
- There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof.
So, what is this article of faith saying? I want to get this straight. There is a difference between the catholic church and the Catholic church. The Catholic church called itself the universal church. The 'catholic' church means a 'universal' church. The universal church is supposed to be the ekklesia. It is supposed to be the church that is run by Christ. In lines 5-6, they make themselves clear that the pope, pastor, preist, or the like, cannot be in charge of the church
. Christ is in charge. Even house churches, no human beings can be in charge. Every church setting must have Christ in charge. If you don't have Christ in charge of your church, then you are missing out on what God has for you! Stop talking, stop singing! Open up your time, almost totally to Jesus and He will be there. It's like seek and you will find. Pray together as a family. Jesus is in charge, not humans!!